Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A new year, a new push

When I started this blog, all the way back in 2013, I was a new student in a coding boot camp called Launch Academy.  12 intensive weeks and a spark was ignited.  Code is where I want to be.  And then life got in the way.

Shortly after graduating from Launch, the universe presented an opportunity that seemed impossible not to take.  Sometimes an opportunity presents an end goal, and sometimes all you know is where to start.  In this case, it was just a start with an undefined end.  And that was an offer, by a friend, to buy our home.  After dinner and a few drinks, we decided to do it!  And to figure out next steps on the fly.

In this case, we sold the house fully furnished.  All we packed was our personal effects and our artwork.  Into a POD it went and we headed for Dallas, Texas.  We decided to spend limbo with our dear friend who was there and had more than enough room for us.

After getting settled in Dallas, I engaged with Thinkful to ramp up my front-end skills and continue down the path upon which I was certain I belonged.  And, as the universe has a tendency to do, another opportunity was presented.  It was time to move on from Dallas and re-establish ourselves for the foreseeable future.  And that took us to Las Vegas, Nevada where we bought a gorgeous home and re-planted ourselves with a semi-longterm plan.

Shortly after getting to Vegas, and in the throws of setting up our home, my coding background created an opportunity to go to work for a start-up here in Vegas.  Except that the code only opened the door, and I was convinced to join as the Chief Operating Officer, a throw-back to my OLD resume!

120 days in and, along with issues specific to the company, I remembered that I was originally working on a different path.  A path to code.  So I resigned and decided to re-focus on learning code and engaging and encouraging that relatively new passion.

All of 2015 went by, and lots of productive and satisfying things happened in my life.  But I didn't get into code.  I put together a home.  I engaged with my family.  I got to know Las Vegas.

But now, with 2016(!) upon me, I'm energized and ready to go the distance and become a Front-end Web Developer.  And, candidly, I turn 40 in September and want to go into my next decade deeply entrenched in this passion.  I'm going to do it with a number of resources.  And I'm going to blog about it because it's one of the best ways to a) share what I learn and b) remaining engaged in the process.

Wish me luck.  I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment